Just a few weeks before New Years my crafty pal Katryna, of Boots and Cats, messaged me asking for some sixties inspired suggestions for a new years eve outfit. She had been holding onto a few metres of vintage brocade fabric and wanted to make something era appropriate with it. I went through my picture file, sent some photos, and offered up a few ideas that I thought would be cute. And then I thought.....hey! I TOO have some amazing vintage brocade fabric that would be perfect for NYE!
Check out this GORGEOUS baby pink brocade up close:
This fabric was gifted to me earlier in the year by my friend, and vintage guru, Vicki (Thanks again!). The problem though.....there was such a scant amount! I had 3 small, awkwardly cut, pieces to work with. I think at some point someone tried to make an evening gown out of it because one of the pieces I had was a-line in shape with two notches at the top. The other two pieces appeared to be the cut aways from this a-line shape. This would have been an amazing evening gown or even mini dress but I just didn't have the yardage to make that happen. I hope this was just a miss-cut and not an unfinished project, and that somewhere out there an evening dress of this fabric really does exist.
I sketched out a few design ideas but some were a bit too ambitious for what I had to work with. I finally decided on a two-piece play suit. Of course I was going for a sixties vibe but I think this one could pass for fifties too if it was styled a bit differently. The concept worked great with this yardage because the pieces were small and not much needed to be cut on the fold which lead to maximum efficiency.
In retrospect, I wish I'd made a mini skirt but earlier in the fall I drafted a high-waisted shorts pattern that makes my butt look pretty darn spiffy. AND because I only started the project on the 29th it meant one less pattern to draft.
I did a quick draft of the top and after fiddling around with two prototypes I was pleased with the look and fit. Or at the very least, thought.....cute enough! Next up, I carefully marked all the pieces before cutting. There was no room for errors or miss-cuts with this stuff!
It was quick sew project. I parked myself at my sewing machine the morning of NYE and by 6 that night the project was complete with plenty of time to get ready for our festivities. I was so happy that I got it done on time but oddly enough ended up wearing only the top with a pair of high waisted pants. It was just too cold to wear the shorts even with tights on underneath. This is definitely a summer suit but I'm glad NYE and an un-expected nudge from a friend spurred into being! Check out the final results below!
Editorial photos are courtesy of dbphotographics.ca! A HUGE, HUGE, THANK YOU to Brad for capturing these. My poor little iPhone doesn't even come close.
I'll definitely be making this outfit again out of other material. I might make the top a teensy bit longer and the shorts a little less high and even the collar can be changed up or removed all together. There's lots of room to play with this pattern set.....pun intended.
Thanks for looking!!
Nicole A Go Go